Matt tied on 10 different baits from swimbaits to crankbaits to a Ned Rig and he's going to see how many bass he can catch (and a few bonus species too!) We're in South Dakota on Lake Oahe for the first time ever. The plan was to do a "lake breakdown" but we quickly realized the bite was excellent and our time would be better spent having fun doing a challenge! We've only got a few hours before we need to get on the road to Wyoming but Matt is confident he can catch bass on all 10 baits, let's find out if he can do it before the Pike and Walleye chew them to pieces!
The 10 baits Matt chose represent virtually every style of fishing you can do while bass fishing. From ultra finesse, to serious power, to topwater, its going to take a lot of adaption to get it done. He always prefers to start by power fishing and today is no different... He begins with Megabass's Dark Sleeper, a fun little swimbait that is easy to use. After the Sleeper produces Matt moves on to a Keitech, a squarebill, and right on down the list he moves.
It really doesn't get difficult until he arrives at the finesse baits. While that might seem counter intuitive, not knowing the lake makes it difficult to slow down and fish individual pieces of cover. It takes longer than expected but one by one the finesse fish fall, leaving only a topwater popper. Its midday, hot, and bluebird sky but the smallmouth of South Dakota did not dissapoint, ultimately giving Matt the 10th bass he was looking for.
We hope you enjoy the video! Below is a breakdown of the 10 baits (and applicable heads) that Matt used to complete his challenge.
1) Megabass Dark Sleeper (Shirauo color): http://bit.ly/2TyR1GT
2) Keitech Fat Swing Impact 2.8 (Pro Blue Red Pearl): http://bit.ly/2ab7s8v
Dirty Jigs Guppy Head 1/8 oz, 1/0 Hook: http://bit.ly/2nyUJRS
3) River2Sea Biggie Squarebill (Rooster- Smalls Bumpin'): http://bit.ly/2ahCzvo
4) Lucky Craft LV-500 (Phantom Chartreuse Shad): http://bit.ly/2aAUUbd
Hook Upgrade- Gamakatsu EWG Size 4: http://bit.ly/2cZrsbY
5) Keitech 4" Easy Shiner (Silver Flash Minnow): http://bit.ly/2bxJK6H
Megabass Okashira Screwhead 1/8 oz: http://bit.ly/2EpluSA
6) Lucky Craft Flash Pointer 100 (American Shad): http://bit.ly/2aHz588
7) Rapala Husky Jerk Jerkbait (Clown Color): http://bit.ly/2YL2Sbt
8) War Eagle Double Willow Spinnerbait 1/2 oz (Mouse color): http://bit.ly/2w5zoor
9) Dry Creek 3.5” Tournament Tube (Green Pumpkin): http://bit.ly/2cJwI6r
Bite Me Flat Eye Tube Jig (1/8 oz): http://bit.ly/2diyVXK
10) Missile Baits Ned Bomb (Green Pumpkin Flash): http://bit.ly/2XCOGwd
Z Man Ned Lockz HD Head: http://bit.ly/2kIgRYK
11) Yellow Magic Popper 1/2 oz (Alewife): http://bit.ly/2al0dKP
Favorite All-Around Combo...
Rod- G Loomis GLX 843 MBR: http://bit.ly/2gqziwT
Reel- Chronarch MGL HG: http://bit.ly/2n8DghB
Line- 40 lb Power Pro Maxcuatro Braid: http://bit.ly/2clBRiQ
Leader- 12 lb Maxima Ultragreen: http://bit.ly/2ae97J9
Favorite Finesse Combo...
Rod- Expride 6'10" ML: http://bit.ly/2osaj3q
Reel- Stradic CI4+ 1000: http://bit.ly/2gu84t7
Line- 10 lb Power Pro Braid: http://bit.ly/2aFg46b
Leader- 7 lb Sunline Sniper Fluorocarbon: http://bit.ly/2p7fxju
Budget-Friendly All Around Combo...
Rod- Shimano SLX 7' Medium Spinning: http://bit.ly/2AdvIC1
Reel- Nasci 2500: http://bit.ly/2g278cC
Line- 12 lb Sunline Assassin: http://bit.ly/2h4LNjm