The guys found a small creek loaded with smallmouth bass! The water is crystal clear and the fish are in all 3 stages of the spawn. There are fish just coming in from Lake Michigan, other bass on beds, and a lot of big bass cruising the edges and shadows in search of a big meal. Realizing the opportunity, the guys quickly began catching fish on everything from a dropshot to a swimbait. Come along for an exciting day of fishing and teaching as we explain how to fish for bass in current.
Its early Summer in Michigan and the fish are aggressive! We began by catching fish sitting along the edges of cover but as we moved farther up river we discovered spawners in the shallows. Toward the end of the day we realized post spawn fish would ambush reaction baits as well, catching them on swimbaits, jerkbaits, and topwater.
Fishing in current is all about understanding bass behavior. These fish face up stream and feed by sight. They're watching the moving water for any sign of food drifting by. When a meal appears they have one shot to capture it as it passes so strikes tend to be vicious! While neither angler had ever been on this fishery, Cobi guides in both Michigan and Wisconsin on a lot of amazing smallmouth waters. If you're interested in seeing more of his work, visit his instagram here: http://bit.ly/2XMpoPW
Below is a breakdown of the baits we caught fish on throughout the day. We caught them on an incredible variety of techniques so we will separate them into softbaits and hardbaits, including the colors used to successfully fool these smallmouth.
1) Finesse Jig (Kentucky Craw): http://bit.ly/2eJinXo
-Smallie Beaver (Green Pumpkin): http://bit.ly/2dR6CkP
2) Strike King Half Shell (KVD Magic on Dropshot): http://bit.ly/2iR9awm
-Owner Mosquito Light Hook Size 2: http://bit.ly/2zQVKx3
3) Roboworm 4" Fat Worm (Oxblood Light on Dropshot): http://bit.ly/2awYSxM
4) Megabass Spark Shad 3" (Real): http://bit.ly/2XcLZk4
- Megabass Okashira Screw Head: http://bit.ly/2EpluSA
5) Dark Sleeper Swimbait (Haze): http://bit.ly/2TyR1GT
6) Zoom Super Fluke (Smokin Shad): http://bit.ly/2aqys0H
-Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap 1/0: http://bit.ly/2aKGmHM
1) Splash It Popper (Chartreuse Pearl Shad): http://bit.ly/2Fp8MQV
2) River2Sea S-Waver 168 (Light Trout): http://bit.ly/2aiu8Sh
3) Megabass Vision 110 Jerkbait (PM Twilight Chart Back): http://bit.ly/2j31TKb
Matt's most versatile Combo this trip...
Rod- Shimano Expride 6'10" Medium: http://bit.ly/2nTq9FL
Reel- Aldebaran MGL 50: http://bit.ly/2uQ4oH8
Line- 12 lb Sunline Assassin: http://bit.ly/2h4LNjm